Located in the Salina City Park
The Indians boiled salt from the water rising from limestone rock about a mile south of Jean Pierre Chouteau’s Trading Post. The springs included one hot geyser that shot boiling water 8 to 10 feet in the air. Chouteau obtained the springs in a treaty in 1825 and sold them to Sam Houston in 1830. Here is where salt was manufactured and sold to the Indians at fifty cents a bushel. Ox teams came from hundreds of miles and salt was hauled away by the wagon loads. The huge salt kettles used, came from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and were transported down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and up the Arkansas and Grand rivers to a forge near where the Salina bridge is now located. Cherokee Captain, John Rogers, began making salt from the springs and named them Grand Saline. By 1839 he was operating 115 kettles. He lost the “Salt Works” in 1844 to the Cherokee Nation under the new law defining their territory. The Cherokee’s leased the land to Lewis Ross brother of Chief John Ross.